Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Choice

Despite how much you are prepared for it or how much you know it is going to happen; despite all the internal coaching and self-talk, there is nothing which will ever prepare you for feeling homesick. I have been rather quite lately because I have been homesick and then I decided perhaps I should just write about it since it is all I really think about and then I started thinking about it some more and realized I had to write.

Homesickness always strikes about 3.5 weeks in...when everything is no longer bright and shiney and the fact that you can't drink tap water suddenly drives you insane and you become angry at your boyfriend because he doesn't seem to be emailing enough (how dare he ever not be thinking of you!) and you refuse to answer calls because it just seems like too much work - and really who wants to hear your dithering anyway. You feel left-out, forgotten and suddenly VERY FAR from home. Lets just say it doesn't always bring out the best in people. The best you can really do is take it, put it outside yourself, acknowledge it and let it go. The holidays don't help either. Breathe.

Tonight, I began to think of my homesickness in a bit of a different light. It sort of all began when one of my fellow fellow's mentioned that he had a friend coming into town. When he said this, I felt jealous...he always has friends coming into town! (but it also made me reflect). He and I come from extremely different backgrounds. He has spent nearly his entire life traveling, he speaks three languages and perhaps (dare I put words in his mouth) his greatest fear is staying any one place too long. I, on the other hand come from pretty much one place. Most of my entire family comes from that one place and most of them do not possess passports (but some are working on it!). Perhaps my greatest fear is getting stuck.

He has friends visiting because his friends are from all around the world. They all own passports and probably have had to have them refilled more than once. These people are likely not just traveling for work - they are traveling because it is part of their culture, their identity.

I will never have this reality. I will never have a revolving door of visitors. My people, as part of their culture and identity, stay put.

Viewed through this lens, my choice to do this, to travel this far is much different then my friend's choice. This is not a judgement but a realization that people have tried to point out to me before and I have just never fully appreciated.

As I have been writing this blog I have been continually thrilled and honored by the enthusiasm with which people have read it. The responses have been a huge part of me keeping it up. What I have come to believe is that part of my journey is sharing this experience with all the people in my life who will never, ever see India. It is bringing something to their doorstep in a way which works inside their culture. I believe it is also a way of making the world a little smaller and allowing people the opportunity to have understanding and empathy for something which is so outside their own reality yet coming in the words and voice of someone who understands them. It is also allowing that brave someone the opportunity to visit..if they want. And, I am honored for that opportunity.

My choice, coming from a culture where leaving home is not extremely common and where many have lived in the same state or within the same two hour distance their entire life, is to be the one to leave. It is a choice which has not been easy and which has involved both sacrifice and risk, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

So, I will remain homesick and I will envy my friend who has an eternal list of visitors but I will also keep writing because I know people are reading.

And, of course, I will secretly hope that one or all of you will decide to visit.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Meghan,

    I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you. Thank you so much for the honest posting. It was nicely put in words, how I have felt many times before. I know that you know this already- put it will pass and we do miss you over here. At the same time though, it is the experience of a lifetime.

    You are right though about being homesick it strikes you sooner or later, prepared or not and even if you chose this path for yourself. Homesickness is this little beast that is trying to get you and it is probably what most people fear the most about leaving home. However, I also know that you can handle it. I have felt homesick many times in my life, even when I was happy where I was, which to most people probably does not make sense. I think homesickness in a way helps us be stronger and better people in the end because we reflect from various angles. We, both you and I, don’t want to be stuck and we love traveling the world, even if that means moving aboard for a while. Your blog and experiences will allow people from home to travel the world without leaving and I am sure they appreciate you sharing your experiences.

    As for visitors, while you might not have a rotating door (but who knows you might), you know you will get some of your friends to visit and experience this with you. It might not be all of them, but some of them….I- for one am super excited to be coming and I encourage everybody else to do the same- flights are really reasonable given that it is on the other side of the planet…..
    until we get there. Breath, let it pass and keep on writing.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis,

    Sorry to hear you are feeling homesick. I have been reading your blogs and it sounds like you are having a great experience. I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better. I will try to call sometime this week/weekend. Not much going on here in central Wisconsin. We have about a foot of snow and I am sick of shoveling my steep fricken driveway. Actually it gets so slippery that is is more like human snowplowing because I just stand at the top of the hill and slide down with a shovel in front of me hoping not to fall on my ass! However, my car has made it up everytime which is very surprising. Keep in touch. will keep up with your blogs on a more regular basis.

    Love ya,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reflection.

    It has taken my own parents just over a year to realize that MN is NOT forever and a day away- we even speak English here. :) Silly central WI mind-set. Finding happiness outside of Portage Co, shouldn't be a radical idea...

    I can not imagine the full depths of your feelings, but I find it facinating the choice that you have made and the experiences that you have already gone through. As you said, "bringing something to their doorstep in a way which works inside their culture" couldn't be a better and more true statement.

    Please keep posting!
    Gwen Krogwold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan,

    Your blog stirred a lot of feelings in me. It was so well written that it really highlighted the fact that your words comes from the heart. I wish I could write like you. At first, I wasn't going to write a public response. But then I thought that others could chime in and support what I write below.

    Despite the incredible self-awareness that you have, you are also oblivious to a lot of things. One point that you don't realize is that you now have Ugandan, Pakistani, Ghanaian, Japanese, Zimbabwean, and Lebanese friends who will come visit you wherever life takes you, even if it is in "that one place" you come from. Personally, I am the one who feels luckiest, because I now know that I have a friend from Wisconsin who will come visit me wherever I am. And that makes me feel quite special.

    More importantly, your decision of traveling to far-flung areas of the world is indeed very different than anyone else's. For you, this choice was so much harder. You probably had to fight against everything you grew up believing in. I assume you also had to go against your friends questioning your sanity. And you may have had arguments with your family not understanding your reasoning. Your choice is so much more meaningful than someone whose travels are "part of their culture, their identity." For these individuals, this is merely a continuation of life. For you, it is a deviation from the norm, a completely new beginning, a new road taken. This is why your choice will eventually make you much stronger.

    Finally, you shouldn’t forget that being homesick is a testament of how much your friends and family mean to you. As paradoxical as it may sound, this feeling should allow you to remain grounded, knowing that you will always have their support, no matter what. So it is okay to let it overwhelm you every once in a while, as long as it doesn’t last for too long. Living a double-life for an extended period of time, where your body is in one place but your mind is somewhere else, will eventually be detrimental to you on both ends. Reconciling living away from your loved ones with preserving your sanity is all about maintaining the right balance between enjoying your day-to-day life while keeping in touch. It may sound simple, but it isn’t.

    I just wanted to let you know that we are all here for you during this difficult time. As for myself, I knew I should have kept calling you yesterday. You would have eventually picked up the phone, even if it was out of exasperation :)

    Take care, and can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

    Yehia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say - I certainly feel the love today! To begin I should say Thank You to everyone who has commented to this post and/or emailed me presonally. A flood of affection....I a feel all warm and fuzzy.

    To Eric (my brother) I want to say thanks for making me laugh. I am picturing your shoveling efforts now and it is refreshing to remember a 'white christmas'. Glad to hear the car is proving to hold its own in the Wisconsin winter.

    To Sarah, my bestest friend out there who always, always takes the time to comment. Thanks for being you and for knowing what this is all like (cuz I know you do! you crazy German!)

    And Gwen, long time no talk to or see, etc. It is great to read your thoughts on this and I hope you keep reading.

    To Yehia, my friend with the eternal list of visitors, thank you for going public with your thoughts. Firstly, you do write as well as me :). Secondly, I know I now have friends all over the world but sometimes it gets lost in the fray and thirdly, I am working on the balance and am confident I will figure it out (do I really have a choice?).

    Thank you so much for all of your support. It really means a lot. I have another posting ready in my head, which I will make this evening.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan & friends,
    I think this is working for me this time--yeah!! I know I can't fully understand the homesickness you are experiencing cuz I've never traveled and lived in such a different culture myself. Of course, Ive been homesick many times in my life and am/was more like Molly in terms of attachment to home during my childhood. It sounds like you're feeling better again--I know it comes in waves for most of us. If it makes you feel any better, it was exactly zero F here in Central WI this am--so much for George & I grabbing a quick X-C ski before I left for work! Mindy is v. bored with decorating the tree and the cats only wake up long enough to get their AM dose of milk and then back to napping. Fred says "hello" and is doing well for an old guy. So long for now; we;ll be seeing you in early spring--that's the plan so far. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Meghan,

    How beautifully you expressed you feelings on your blog, really touchy and strong!

    Just to expand on our chat two days earlier about homesickness, let me assure I can understand and share your sentiments.

    Though its really challenging to go through, we at the same time know that you are capable of getting through and turning it into an opportunity- YOU CAN DO IT........(This is how you push me to do best!)

    Early this week we (me, Asim and Sara) were together for the Community Gathering here in Karachi.We did share our intentions of coming to India in the mid of February 2010, . Despite of all complication involved, we hope to make it positively.

    And lastly Karachi is not that far away, just plan and do come when you feel homesick or necessary and feasible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scatter joy indeed. Meggers, my eyes fill with tears when I read your amazingly sincere words. Please know that even people who stay put send their love 10 times around the world for you and you alone. Again, again and forever again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. chicken hot wing here....checking in and squawking at you. love ya.

    ReplyDelete