Friday, December 4, 2009

More Photos: Bathroom and Rickshaw - Gonna try for the video as well!!

I put this photo in because it should be noted that 1) This man is probably committing some sort of unspoken crime given that he only has 2 people on is motorcycle. Typically there are 4-5 on one motorcycle or moped. I will try to get a photo of that. 2) One of the craziest thing about India is that almost no one wears a helmet. You see all the time whole families on a motorcyle in the middle of horrible traffic with LITTLE children sitting on their laps and infront of them with no protection of anykind. I am just waiting for the day I see my first horrific accident. Honestly, it is crazy. I took this photos on my way to work.

This is my rickshaw and rickshaw driver Chanti. He was very excited to have his picture taken. I sit in the backseat. The vehicle is very small (I am probably taller than it!). If we get in an accident I am totally screwed. Say prayers for Chanti and I. We have lots of traveling ahead of us.

This is my bathroom...note the US toilet. The thing used to spray off your 'regions' is hanging on the wall next to the toilet. Showers are not separate in India so it is located between the toilet and the sink. The floor just gets soaked and dries during the day. The red and white bucket on the floor slightly hidden by the sink is filled with water that I use to rinse out my hair since the water pressure is not strong enough. Get ready for when you visit. It is like camping!
A couple of other notes...
1) Another crazy thing aout India is that a sacred symbol here is the swastika...yes the one bastardized by Hitler. It is really interesting because you see it on graves and on bumper stickers and as a symbol in many places. It takes a little adjustment to get used to seeing swastikas everywhere. They date back to the Neolithic period and are a very popular symbol in many eastern religions.
2) One of the best things about working at LifeSpring is that when you are feeling a little down or just need a break from stuff I can walk down 2 floors and visit the BABIES. No, I am not baby crazy but it is pretty great. I mean, honestly.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Meg Just wondering if you are well and perhaps no longer under lockdown?? Hope so I have been trying to find out info about the rioting in the press, but so far no mention at all...............much tooo consumed with the health care leg, afghanistan, xmas etc etc will stay in touch my dear......Love you., Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting the baby bug are you Meghan??? It's amazing to have babies and watch the grow. I think that you'd make a great mom some day.
    I love the rickshaw thing, very neat. It does look tiny, I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete