Sunday, November 22, 2009

How Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

November 20th 2009

I am beginning to believe that my most difficult task in India will be learning to cross the road. It is a full-blown war out there!

This morning, I got bored and proceeded to go for a walk hoping that along the way I would find an ATM, phone card, kaftans and perhaps even a new phone – (since blackberry messenger is free anywhere in the world!)

It should be noted that I found none of these things but instead returned home with my tail between my legs. But I did make it a half-hour or so.

During this half-hour I was followed for at least 15 minutes by one rickshaw driver who wouldn’t leave me alone, yelled at forcefully by a group of begging women, nearly run off the road by several walkers and saw my life pass before me as a bus of screaming school children nearly ran me over. Needless to say, I am not only a bit unnerved but also appreciating New York.

Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode where George starts playing frogger?…crossing the streets in India is just like this. Dash..pause…wait..go…breath. There are no lights, there are no rules and absolutely no concern for the sanctity of life.

I am now afraid one of you will die when you come to visit me.

Last night while riding home from the office in my state of sleep-deprived delirium a large bull with huge horns came charging down the freeway against traffic. This was not a hallucination…totally real. No one even flinched…just kept on going. A large bull, charging traffic…if that can’t create pause I don’t know what will.

Other than that I am starving, without phone and internet and ready to get things sorted out so I can live with a bit more peace.

With Love,
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment