Monday, November 23, 2009

Believe It or Not, Nov. 23, 2009

Things to know and master about India: Lessons from my first 3 days.
1) Always carry a roll of toilet paper or package of baby wipes in your purse/on your person – at all times. In India you can not assume there will be toilet paper. The typical Indian toilet is something you squat over not sit on and the floors are often wet and dirty. The traditional way of cleaning yourself after using the toilet is to spray yourself down with water from a hose on the wall. The idea is not a bad one but it leaves you with the issue of having a very wet nether region….hmmmm. Please see video of toilet - I thought it was a picture but apparently I was too jet lagged and took a video instead.
2) Get used to cold showers – I have yet to take a warm one! I believe this is likely due to the fact that right now it is WINTER in India and the average temp is about 70 degrees. Come February the temps should jump to about 100 and saturated. I think a cold shower will feel good then.
3) Master the NOD. If you have ever read Shantaram or know anything about Indian culture you have likely been informed about the infamous Indian head wag/nod. Please see attached video which provides a classic example. The head wag/nod is actually far more difficult than it appears. It involves a certain relaxation of the neck which I have yet to master. You will not be seeing a video of me doing the nod until I have mastered it.
4) The cats here are HUGE. I am not kidding. Today, I saw one for the first time. It was across the street prowling on the roof tops and from across the street I thought it was a panther of some sort. HUGE. These are the house cats in India…I am second guessing my thoughts on getting a cat. But, pretty cool when you think about it!
5) Barter, barter, barter: When you are white every price shoots up by about 20 rupees. Walk away from the rickshaw…walk away from the rickshaw. Someone else is always waiting.
6) Surrender your personal space – there is none in India. Period.
7) Cross the road with confidence. Breath and tell yourself that they will not hit you (they shouldn’t –right!). Put your hand out in a sign to STOP and they usually do…but prepare yourself for the last second swerve.
8) Don’t wear shorts.
9) Learn to eat with your hands - its fun!
10) Let go of the NYC black….colors are beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan,

    I am a fellow applicant for 2011 (from India :) ). I am amused to see your blog, but I wouldn't say anything written here is wrong per se.

    I have had a lot of friends from the west and one thing I've learnt from them, which might help you is: dress up in Indian costume as much as you can. The hawkers and drivers assume that you've been staying here for long and don't bother asking you for the extra money.
    Hope that helps and have a nice time here.
    If you happen to travel sometime, let me know, I can possibly be of some help.

    Cheers!
    Vaibhav

    ReplyDelete