Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You Know you have been in India a while when...

Along the lines of the last post, I have inspired myself. So, here is my list of "I know I have been in India quite some time when.."

1) It is 60+ degrees out and I find myself in a wool sweater with a long sleeved shirt underneath and jeans yet still slightly chilled on my ride to work....I have always been a wimp about the cold but India has totally ruined me.

2) Nothing really tastes spicey anymore.

3) You understand what someone means when they say a food has 'heat' (or, in my case, you are beginning to understand)...mangoes and papayas to name a few.

4) You no longer feel angry and self-righteous when a bus nearly hits you while you stand on the SIDE of the road. Rather, you feel very lucky that the driver had good depth perception. (please don't let me die by bus in India!).

5) You no longer negotiate with rickshaws. Rather, when they won't give you your change you grab the money, get out of the riskshaw and allow them to realize that you mean business. It works really well!

6) Whenever you drink water from any type of water bottle you never let it touch your lips.

7) Blowing black snot no longer surprises you...hey, its polluted!

8) You find yourself doing the NOD! Oh yeah, all the time these days.

9) You know that if you order a drink you will need to distinguish between a single or double and that you will have to mix it yourself.

10) As a woman you know that at all security check-points you will need to go see the woman security guard behind the area enclosed with curtains. We be sacred...can't see anyone touching us!

11) When the electricity goes out you hardly notice and certainly don't worry or get upset about it.

12) Water stops working at about 11 PM, if you come home late don't worry about brushing your teeth or washing your face or flushing the toilet.

13) The extrememly loud door bells no longer scare you.

14) Elevators here talk a lot and are very very annoying. "please close the door". Ahhhh...that actually still drives me INSANE.

Okay, that is really just the beginning but you get the point.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the last two posts. Really can't wait to come visit even though I find it concerning that you find 60F cold now. C'mon you are from WI.

    Lovies
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should continue this blog for a bit after you get back to the US. I'll bet there will be some reverse culture shock happening for awhile. I'd be interested to hear what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good point. I know from first hand experience that a reverse culture shock is quite interesting. I second that you should keep the blog going

    ReplyDelete