Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Years In Bombay(Mumbai)..part 1

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year! Can you believe it is 2010...another decade down.

So, I took my first break from Hyderabad to spend time in Bombay for New Years. I stayed with my friend and fellow fellow Yehia for the Holiday. He also had two girl friends of his own in town Angela and Suad. The holiday was supposed to also include Satoko and Sule (the two other fellows based in India) but they both bailed ....boo hiss.


Also, the photos were in order but while posting they got all scrambled. So...Sorry.

All of us in the back of a rickshaw the day after New Years. From left to right: Angela, me, Yehia, Suad. I thinkwe were all a little giddy but it was pretty funny trying to cram four adults into a tiny little tut tut. There were many many pictures taken with Angela's camera.
Another picture.

Angela, holding Bombay Sapphire in Bombay. I think this might be delight!


Another View from the Four Seasons rooftop. Bombay at night.


A view from the rooftop at dusk. Bombay is increadibly polluted. You can see thet thick smog in this photo. I thought Hyderabad smelled but Bombay is at a whole different level. Smells Terribly.

The day after New Years we all went to the rooftop bar (Aer) of the Four Seasons. This bar is nicer than most rooftop bars in NYC. I think this photo is a great example of the economic disparities which exist in India and how blatant they are. This photo is taken from the rooftop and as you can see directly below us are slums...slums like these stretch in every direction as we stand in on the rooftop of one of the most expensive hotels in Bombay. Unbelievable.


The ladies before we went to the rooftop bar. From left to right: Angela, Suad and Me. Consequentally from tallest to shorest as well.

Eating dinner before we went to Aer, the Skybar.

This is New Years Eve and we are all at a house party.

Me and Suad in the market buying yummy fried food. And my arm. Sorry, not a great photo.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Meghan,
    Thanks for posting the pics and happy to know you got out with friends over N. Year's wkend--they look like alot of fun! I suppose you're back to work and career like the rest of us. If you could e-mail me Sarah's address in NYC that would be great.

    Happy to report that George got his passport app in the mail yesterday and I will be doing so this PM. Spoke to Molly last evening and again this AM--came down with a bad case of strep throat with high fever but is feeling a little better today--otherwise she seems well and excited about starting her internship. George and I hope/plan to do some travel via RR when we visit--I'd like to see the Himalaya's and some of N. India, the Taj Mahal (sp), etc.

    Nothing else new from WI that I can think of--hoping for a snowfall sometime soon so skiing conditions improve. Oh, I ran into Lindsey Kurl from Waupaca over N. Yr's--sister Paige was in Planet with you and has become a concert violinist--gets to India, says Lindsay. Lindsay says Hi--is married with a 2 yo and living in Madison.

    So long for now. Love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan,

    It sounds like you are doing well. Just read your comment and rather than playing telephone my email is sarah.graupner@gmail.com (for all others who read this I only want love emails and no spam :-) ).

    I can't wait to get to India and see all those sights. It seems like another world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families with kids are no different from anyone else when it comes to finding a desirable hotel; we want our lodging to be clean, comfortable, reasonably quiet, well-located and affordable.

    Cartagena in Colombia

    ReplyDelete
  4. At resort hotels and at vacation and recreational camps, recreation workers organize and conduct recreation activities for guests and campers.

    Hoteles Rio

    ReplyDelete