Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lions and Leopards and Giraffes (Oh my!)



Three continents in the last months and now I am back pretty much for good to India (slightly tired I must add).

The last week in Nairobi, Kenya represents my first trip to Africa and I must say it has been wonderful. It is always so different to go to see a place to visit then it is to live somewhere for an extended length of time so I think that Nairobi has had that effect on me….it seems very bright and shiny and perfect!

I must admit, I felt much more drawn to Africa than India but I also spent all of my time Nairobi which is a diamond in the ruff so to speak. There is something about the green and clean air and freedom of dress that make it seem so much easier than India. I could wear tank tops (yes, it is about the small wins!).

But, enough with the comparisons..tomorrow I will be back in India and will make it work there.

The week I spent in Nairobi was for fellows mid-year which is when Acumen Fund brings everyone from my fellows class together half-way through. It was wonderful to see everyone and a reminder of the strength one can derive from having people around them who understand them, support them and believe in their abilities. I think it is safe to say it was a much needed and wonderful time for everyone. I return to India with a bitter-sweet feeling knowing that I have energy and optimism funded by the group I have spent the past week with at the same time knowing I will likely not see any of them until September.

So, onto the good stuff – Sarah, you are going to be soooo jealous when you read this! (hehe).

When I was not working in Nairobi I did some really amazing things.

1) Safari
2) Giraffe Center
3) Elephant Nursery

I went on the Safari over this past weekend at Masai Mara. It was spectacular! I spent one morning with the Masai. The Masai are quite famous native tribe (most known for their jumping). During the morning we went walking with several young Masai warriors who explained some of their culture. It was an interesting experience of culture clash for me. Perhaps the most salient example being that all of these men, wearing beads and robes with spears and clubs also all carried cell phones!

As we walked and they told us how they brushed their teeth with this particular piece of wood or dyed their clothing with a particular root their cell phone would ring and we were all quickly socked with the irony of being in the Kenyan bush walking and talking with one of the oldest existing African tribes while they answered their cell-phones. I could go on and on about this but I am guessing the point has been made.

Some interesting facts I learned during this time:

1) All men are circumcised at 15 years. After this they are all forced into the bush by the tribe and must remain there for 5 years. During this time the work on numerous ‘warrior skills’ one being their jumping and the other hunting.

2) When they all come back at the age of 20 the man who can jump the highest gets a discounted wife.

3) If any of them have managed to kill a lion they get a free wife.

**I must note here that it is difficult to tell how much of what you are hearing is true. There is a great degree of ‘tourism’ which surrounds the Masai and I got the impression that they were as much playing to us as anything.

One of my key take-aways from this discussion would be the fact that no matter where I go it seems women are often powerless…..

The Masai man I was walking with also proudly told me that “Women do all the work. Men guard against animals.” (great).

Safari’s are somewhat unpredictable in the sense that you cannot guarantee that you get to see everything. We got very lucky!

On the first day I saw a leopard, a lioness with two cubs (literally 5 feet from me), black rhino, water buffalo, wildebeests, elephants, giraffes and tons of other stuff (You know you are jaded when you describe zebras as ‘other stuff’).

Perhaps the creature which had the most effect on me was the Giraffes. They are elegant, beautiful and curious. I never thought they were so beautiful. When they run it looks like slow motion. I really can’t describe it.

So, the safari was a success. Next I went to a giraffe reserve where orphaned giraffes are taken. Oh my goodness…I was like a kid in a candy store. Here I got to pet them and feed them! Awesome.

Next I went to an elephant nursery where orphaned elephants are taken for recovery. This experience was phenomenal. These baby elephants were so interactive and had personality. Some clearly wanted to engage while others seemed more shy…it was fantastic.

Their trunks are covered in whiskers and their skin feels strange and un-alive, but they have these eyes which are expressive and endearing.

While we were there we actually got to see a new rescue delivered to the nursery. This baby elephant had fallen down an 18 foot latrine and spent 3 days at the bottom. It was covered in tics and too weak to stand – truly heart breaking. It was at this moment when we were told that over 50% of the rescues do not survive.

There was also a full grown rhino and baby rhino at the nursery as well.

If you are an animal lover you MUST do all three of these things.

Okay, there is much more but I will start with just this one. I promise to be a better blogger :)

1 comment: